Our members are developing both options until the optimum solution for each country becomes apparent – this is the Dual-Track approach. It allows countries to keep options open whilst fulfilling their obligations to the IAEA and the EC.
- Dual-Track maintains flexibility and meets national and international responsibilities
- Involvement in Dual-Track projects implies no prior commitment to use or host a shared DGR
- It is already the preferred option of several European countries
- The prospect of a shared disposal solution encourages the development of common technical approaches to the interim treatment and storage of radioactive wastes
- Dual-Track encourages developing effective national capabilities not only for a domestic programme, but also to act as a provider or an ‘intelligent customer’ of shared solutions